James Haughton Langston
‘Squire of Churchill’
1796 Born in Churchill
1812 Inherited Sarsden Estate
1818 Built Sarsden Rectory
1819 High Sheriff of Oxfordshire
1824 Married Julia Frances Moreton
1826 Built All Saints’ Church Churchill
1832 Elected MP for City of Oxford
1842 Financed Chipping Norton Town Hall
1854 Financed Chipping Norton Railway
1854 Built Milton under Wychwood Church
The part played in the community by the village squire, James Langston (1796-1863), is displayed on a touch screen unit.
The Sarsden estate has had many owners over the centuries. Sarsden House itself was rebuilt by William Walter in 1689 after a serious fire, then in 1812 James Langston inherited the house when he was only sixteen! He commissioned Humphry Repton to landscape the grounds and in 1825 his architect son George Stanley Repton remodelled the house itself and also redesigned the dower house, Sargrove House, which lies just over a mile away. In 1826 he entirely subsidized, to the tune of at least £14,000, the building of ‘a new gothic church’, with a tower ‘exactly copied from Magdalen tower, Oxford’, in his neighbouring village of Churchill. He was a Liberal MP, and was also favourably known as a good landlord and an active magistrate.